Mutual of Omaha
Mutual of Omaha is an insurance provider with more than a century of experience in the financial services realm. The company issues deferred and income annuities, aligning with its commitment to help consumers through life’s transitions.
- Written By Sheena Zimmermann, M.Ed.
Sheena Zimmermann, M.Ed.
As a professional who values lifelong learning, Sheena Zimmermann joined the Annuity.org team with a deep commitment to connecting readers with resources designed to improve their financial literacy and strengthen their financial health.Read More
- Edited ByEmily Miller
Managing editor Emily Miller is an award-winning journalist with more than 10 years of experience as a researcher, writer and editor. Throughout her professional career, Emily has covered education, government, health care, crime and breaking news for media organizations in Florida, Washington, D.C. and Texas. She joined the Annuity.org team in 2016.Read More
- Updated: January 17, 2023
- 4 min read time
- This page features 8 Cited Research Articles
- Edited By
Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company, or Mutual of Omaha, has a long-standing history of growth and widespread support of clients.
“For more than 100 years, Mutual of Omaha’s legacy has been a commitment to helping people protect what’s important to them,” according to the Mutual of Omaha website.
The Nebraska-based company’s vision is for every customer to have “a financial future imagined, planned and secured.” With a lion as its logo, Mutual of Omaha reflects its values of protection, strength and loyalty.
The Mutual of Omaha Foundation set goals to invest and strengthen the community. In the first half of 2022 alone, the Foundation granted more than $1.7 million to 57 nonprofit organizations.
About Mutual of Omaha
The company chartered under the name Mutual Benefit Health & Accident Association in 1909 and began issuing health and accident insurance in 1910.
In 1950, the organization’s name was shortened to Mutual of Omaha, and soon thereafter it became the first health and accident company to order an IBM data processing system.
Continuing with its use of leading-edge technology, Mutual of Omaha was one of the first insurance businesses to create an online application for Medicare Supplement policies in 2014. The mutual company has since broadened its reach and acquired subsidiaries throughout its history, including the following companies:
- United of Omaha Life Insurance Company
- Companion Life Insurance Company
- United World Life Insurance Company
- Omaha Insurance Company
- Mutual of Omaha Investor Services, Inc.
- Omaha Supplemental Insurance Company
- East Campus Realty, LLC
Credit ratings help gauge annuity providers’ ability to withstand future financial stress and cover claims. As a consumer, it is important to choose a company that exhibits financial strength and offers products that align with your financial goals.
Mutual of Omaha has earned solid ratings from three major credit rating agencies — AM Best, Moody’s Investors Service and S&P Global Ratings.
|AM Best:||A+ |
|S&P Global Ratings:||A- |
Annuity Products Offered by Mutual of Omaha
Mutual of Omaha currently issues two types of annuity products: income annuities and deferred annuities. These annuities are underwritten by United of Omaha Life Insurance Company.
Income annuities can provide a fixed income stream, and they are often used to supplement other income for a specific time span or for a lifetime. Income annuities offer optional benefits to meet your needs, such as cost-of-living adjustments and guaranteed beneficiary payments.
- Income Access
- Deferred Income Protector
- Income Annuity with Premium Return
Deferred annuities offer tax-deferred growth. These products have a rate of return that is guaranteed for a chosen period of five or seven years. You can also choose from a variety of income payout options.
- Bonus Flexible Annuity
- Ultra-Secure Plus
Policyholders can file an individual or workplace claim on the Mutual of Omaha website. The company also provides a Medicare Advice Center and financial planning advice for the following topics:
- Learning about Medicare options
- Preparing for retirement
- Building a stronger business
- Understanding life insurance
- Tackling finances
- Living a healthier life
- Traveling the world
Mutual of Omaha is also known for its “Wild Kingdom” television series that started in 1963, impacting conservation efforts for wildlife and the planet. According to Mutual of Omaha, “protecting families — yours and our global family — is in our DNA.”
Any information offered about the company above is provided free of charge and individual product offerings are verified and accurate as of publication.
Our partners work with the provider companies mentioned on our site. However, Annuity.org is not a service provider. Actual products, terms and rates offered through the above company are subject to in-state availability and a variety of other factors. Visit the Our Partners page for additional information.
8 Cited Research Articles
Annuity.org writers adhere to strict sourcing guidelines and use only credible sources of information, including authoritative financial publications, academic organizations, peer-reviewed journals, highly regarded nonprofit organizations, government reports, court records and interviews with qualified experts. You can read more about our commitment to accuracy, fairness and transparency in our editorial guidelines.
- S&P Global Market Intelligence. (2022, May 4). AM Best Assigns Credit Ratings to Omaha National Insurance Company. Retrieved from https://www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence/en/news-insights/latest-news-headlines/am-best-assigns-credit-ratings-to-omaha-national-insurance-company-70138364
- Moody's Investors Service. (2022, September 7). Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company. Retrieved from https://www.moodys.com/credit-ratings/Mutual-of-Omaha-Insurance-Company-credit-rating-340400
- Mutual of Omaha Foundation. (2022, June 21). Mutual of Omaha’s Community Investments the Foundation Has Granted More Than $1.7 Million in First 6 Months of 2022. Retrieved from https://mutualofomahafoundation.org/about-us/newsroom
- Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company. (n.d.). Affiliates. Retrieved from https://www.mutualofomaha.com/about/company-profile/affiliates
- Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company. (n.d.). Home page. Retrieved from https://www.mutualofomaha.com/
- Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company. (n.d.). Our Solutions for Annuities. Retrieved from https://www.mutualofomaha.com/annuities/plans
- Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company. (n.d.). Who We Are. Retrieved from https://www.mutualofomaha.com/about/why-mutual-of-omaha
- Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company. (n.d.). Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom. Retrieved from https://www.mutualofomaha.com/wild-kingdom/
Calling this number connects you to Senior Market Sales (SMS), a trusted partner of Annuity.org.
If you're interested in buying an annuity, a representative will provide you with a free, no-obligation quote.
SMS is committed to excellent customer service. The company can help you find the right insurance agent for your unique financial objectives.877-918-7024