Athene Holding Ltd.
Athene Holding Ltd. began selling a variety of retirement solutions, including annuities and life insurance, over a decade ago. Though the company no longer sells insurance, it still provides four types of annuity products: fixed, fixed indexed, registered index-linked and immediate annuities.
Athene began in 2008 as a startup founded by two former insurance company executives, James Belardi and Chip Gillis. The company provides retirement savings products, including annuities and funding agreements.
Today, Athene operates worldwide with $246.1 billion in total assets. Athene is a leading annuity provider specializing in fixed annuities, indexed annuities and group annuity solutions. According to the company’s website, Athene’s mission is to create innovative financial solutions and build a strong team to serve its policyholders and its communities.
- Fixed Annuity Contracts Issued by Aviva Life and Annuity Company or Athene Annuity and Life Company
- ATHENE MaxRate® Annuity Contracts (beginning with NY1)
- ATHENE MaxRate® Annuity Contracts (beginning with NY0)
- Fixed Annuity Contracts Issued by Investors Insurance Corporation
- Fixed Annuities (contracts beginning with MA)
- Fixed Annuity Contracts Issued by Liberty Life Insurance Company or RBC Insurance (that do not begin with MA)
- Fixed Annuity Contracts Issued by Presidential Life
- Variable Annuities
Before you purchase an annuity, check the provider’s financial strength ratings. These scores, also called credit ratings, can tell you how likely the annuity provider is to meet its financial obligations. Credit ratings are determined by independent agencies based on the financial stability of the annuity provider.
As of July 2022, Athene has received strong ratings from three of the major credit rating agencies: AM Best, Fitch Ratings and Standard & Poor’s.
|Standard & Poor’s||A-||Positive|
Annuity Products Offered by Athene
Athene offers four types of annuities for the retail market, including fixed annuities, fixed indexed annuities, registered index-linked annuities and immediate annuities.
When you purchase a fixed annuity, you put away a lump sum of money, called the premium, to grow tax-deferred at a fixed rate. After a certain number of years, your annuity matures and is converted to a guaranteed stream of income you won’t outlive.
Athene sells fixed annuities with premiums ranging from $5,000 to $1 million. You can choose a term period of three, five or seven years to best suit your needs.
- Athene MYGSM
- Athene MYGSM with Return of Premium Option
- Athene MaxRate
Fixed Indexed Annuities
Athene also offers fixed indexed annuities, which combine the low risk of fixed annuities and moderate returns of variable annuities. Like a fixed annuity, a fixed indexed annuity has a guaranteed rate of return that will grow the premium by a certain percentage each year.
Fixed indexed annuities also accumulate interest based on the performance of an equity market index. This type of annuity offers greater growth potential than a fixed annuity, but still provides some protection of your retirement savings.
Athene’s fixed indexed annuity products offer tax-deferred growth potential with guaranteed returns. Customers can purchase optional riders to get additional benefits, including lifetime income, increased liquidity or an enhanced death benefit.
- Ascent ProSM
- Performance Elite®
Registered Index-Linked Annuities
A registered index-linked annuity, also known as a RILA, is another type of annuity with growth linked to the performance of a published stock market index.
Unlike fixed indexed annuities, RILAs do not offer guaranteed rates of return. Instead, potential loss is mitigated by chosen buffer rates or floor rates that kick in if the index takes a downturn.
Athene offers RILAs which include unique crediting features that have the potential to enhance growth and increase protection against value losses. The Athene® Amplify RILA is a 6-year annuity with the option to choose one of three market indices to link to your premium’s growth. The Athene® Amplify 2.0 Series RILAs offer greater flexibility and protection levels with five indices to choose from.
Unlike other types of annuities, an immediate annuity does not have an accumulation phase when your premium grows in value. Instead, the lump-sum premium is immediately converted into a stream of guaranteed income payments.
Athene’s single premium immediate annuities let customers choose to receive payments for a fixed period or for life. Owners may choose a survivor who will continue receiving benefits after them. Athene also gives immediate annuity customers the choice of receiving payments monthly, quarterly, semiannually or annually.
Clients With questions about their Athene annuity can find answers to frequently asked questions on Athene’s website. Customers can register for My Athene, an online portal that lets annuity holders view statements, change beneficiaries, request withdrawals or update their contact information.
Customers can also access relevant service forms related to all of Athene’s retirement product offerings online.
Any information offered about the company above is provided free of charge and individual product offerings are verified and accurate as of publication.
Our partners work with the provider companies mentioned on our site. However, Annuity.org is not a service provider. Actual products, terms and rates offered through the above company are subject to in-state availability and a variety of other factors. Visit the Our Partners page for additional information.
13 Cited Research Articles
Annuity.org writers adhere to strict sourcing guidelines and use only credible sources of information, including authoritative financial publications, academic organizations, peer-reviewed journals, highly regarded nonprofit organizations, government reports, court records and interviews with qualified experts. You can read more about our commitment to accuracy, fairness and transparency in our editorial guidelines.
- Athene Holding. (n.d.). Athene Amplify. Retrieved from https://www.athene.com/products/rila/amplify
- Athene Holding. (n.d.). Athene Amplify 2.0 Series. Retrieved from https://www.athene.com/products/rila/amplify2
- Athene Holding. (n.d.). Fixed Annuities. Retrieved from https://www.athene.com/products/fixed
- Athene Holding. (n.d.). Fixed Indexed Annuities. Retrieved from https://www.athene.com/products/fia
- Athene Holding. (n.d.). Frequently Asked Questions. Retrieved from https://www.athene.com/faqs
- Athene Holding. (n.d.). Immediate Annuities. Retrieved from https://www.athene.com/products/immediate
- Athene Holding. (n.d.). Our Story. Retrieved from https://www.athene.com/our-story
- Athene Holding. (n.d.). Registered Index-Linked Annuities (RILAs). Retrieved from https://www.athene.com/products/rila
- Athene Holding. (n.d.). Service Forms. Retrieved from https://www.athene.com/service-forms
- Bloomberg. (n.d.) Athene Holding Ltd. Retrieved from https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/ATH:US
- Business Wire. (2022, April 21). A.M. Best Affirms Credit Ratings of Athene Holding Ltd. and Its Subsidiaries; Assigns Credit Ratings to Athene Annuity Re Ltd. Retrieved from https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220421005816/en/AM-Best-Affirms-Credit-Ratings-of-Athene-Holding-Ltd.-and-Its-Subsidiaries-Assigns-Credit-Ratings-to-Athene-Annuity-Re-Ltd
- Cbonds. (2022, January 6). S&P Global Ratings Affirms Athene Holding at “A-” (Local Currency LT Credit Rating); Outlook Positive. Retrieved from https://cbonds.com/news/1547945/
- Fitch Ratings. (2022, May 19). Fitch Upgrades Athene’s Ratings to ‘A+’; Outlook Stable. Retrieved from https://irathene.q4cdn.com/886888837/files/doc_news/2022/05/Fitch-Upgrades-Athene%27s-Ratings-to-%27A-%27-Outlook-Stable.pdf