Annuity.org content is meticulously reviewed to ensure it meets our high standards for readability, accuracy, fairness and transparency.
Annuity.org articles are spellchecked, grammatically correct and typo-free. Annuity.org editors may revise content for clarity, logic, flow and meaning. Annuity.org only uses credible sources of information.
This includes reputable industry sources, select financial publications, credible nonprofits, official government reports, court records and interviews with qualified experts.
Americo Life Inc. is one of the largest privately held, independent insurance companies in the United States. It is the holding company for Americo Financial Life and Annuity Insurance Company, an issuer of a broad range of annuity products.
Americo Financial Life and Annuity Insurance Company, or Americo, helps consumers plan and save for retirement with a variety of life insurance and annuity products.
Americo is authorized to issue annuities in the District of Columbia and all states besides New York. Annuity companies, like Americo, issue annuities to help protect clients against outliving their savings while providing growth potential.
Americo Financial Life and Annuity Insurance Company, originally called The College Life Insurance Company of America, was founded in 1946.
- Great Southern Life Insurance Company
- United Fidelity Life Insurance Company
- National Farmers Union Life Insurance Company
- Investors Life Insurance Company of North America
“We are progressive in our thinking,” according to the Americo website. “We are solutions-oriented. We offer innovative product solutions that can be tailored to fit your situation.”
- Term and universal life insurance
- Whole life insurance
- Medicare Supplement insurance
- Vision insurance
Americo’s Credit Ratings
Credit rating agencies routinely evaluate the financial strength of annuity providers. This scoring provides a snapshot of the company’s ability to cover claims and other financial obligations.
Americo’s website refers to its ratings as “a portrait of financial stability,” boasting the third highest out of 16 possible AM Best rating categories.
Annuity Products Offered by Americo
One of two entities underwrite the annuity products for Americo — Americo Financial Life and Annuity Insurance Company or Great Southern Life Insurance Company.
Available products and benefits may vary by state, but Americo specializes in two primary annuity types: fixed indexed and multi-year guaranteed annuities, or MYGAs.
Fixed Indexed Annuities
Fixed indexed annuities earn interest based on the performance of a market index. For example, if the Standard & Poor’s 500 (S&P 500) has favorable gains, the annuity collects earnings up to a certain amount. Even if the market endures losses, this annuity type has downside protection.
Multi-Year Guaranteed Annuities (MYGA)
MYGA products offer a fixed interest rate over a pre-determined period. Earnings are tax deferred, so you do not incur tax until you begin making withdrawals.
Resources for Americo Clients
Americo clients can service their policies and complete important forms online.
- Making a claim
- Updating bank information
- Surrendering a policy
- Withdrawing from your policy
- Submitting Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) forms
- Updating your address
- Updating beneficiaries
- Completing additional forms, such as W-9s and annuitant changes
Americo also has a comprehensive glossary of terms to help consumers understand financial jargon, annuity terms and contract verbiage.
5 Cited Research Articles
Annuity.org writers adhere to strict sourcing guidelines and use only credible sources of information, including authoritative financial publications, academic organizations, peer-reviewed journals, highly regarded nonprofit organizations, government reports, court records and interviews with qualified experts. You can read more about our commitment to accuracy, fairness and transparency in our editorial guidelines.
- Americo. (n.d.). Retirement. Retrieved from https://www.americo.com/insurance-solutions/retirement/
- Americo. (n.d.). Service Your Policy. Retrieved from https://www.americo.com/service-your-policy/
- Americo. (n.d.). Who We Are. Retrieved from https://www.americo.com/who-we-are/
- Moody’s. (2021, April 5). Rating Action: Moody’s Rates Americo’s Senior Debt Baa3; Stable Outlook. Retrieved from https://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys-rates-Americos-senior-debt-Baa3-stable-outlook--PR_1000004503
- CBL Insurance. (n.d.). Understanding Best’s Financial Strength Ratings. Retrieved from http://www.cblinsurance.com/UserFiles/CBLInsurance/File/Understanding%20AM%20Best%20Ratings.pdf